Subject: Re: [Leica] R lenses on visoflex?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 08:39:14 -0700

It is not completely clear in the English version what is modified to the
"R" bayonet but he is referring to focusing screen brightness, so it is most
likely the lens mount of the Visoflex. It would be fairly straight forward
to modify the Visoflex to accept the R bayonet flange. It would also be
simple to shorten the "R" tube to focus correctly on the deeper M/Visofelx
combination. This would provide for a brighter focusing screen but would not
change anything at the film gate.

With regard to designing a Visoflex that would accept unmodified R lenses,
it is possible...anything is possible but probably not particularly
practical in actual use, nor reasonably priced*. However, if someone
develops a digital back for the M cameras with a LCD monitor, it would be
easy to use a 22228 (Novoflex still makes them) and forgo the Visoflex
entirely. This seems to me that this will be the simplest and most practical
way to adapt current R lenses to the M camera.

Any of the R lenses with sufficient back focus could be modified with new
focusing mounts and aperture control mechanisms to work on the Visoflex but
the expense again would be considerable.

Finally Werner Henkel, an ex-Leica employee BTW who has been featured in
Leica Fotografie before, prefers using M cameras because of the lack of
vibration. He releases the mirror first, then the shutter.

John Collier

* For a price, you and your Leica can go to the moon if you like as well.