Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M ASPH vs. 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M pre-asph
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 08:54:54 +0100

I started with the pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron when I bought my first Leica 3 years
ago. About 1 year later I had the chance to buy the ASPH version at a good
price, and furthermore, I had the opportunity to borrow one to test it at my
leisure. I did the testing on tripod, using a statue as the subject, thus
eliminating any variation due to subject or camera movement. The result was that
at f2, there was a difference: the ASPH was clearly better on the light table.
At f2.8 the difference was extremely small, and by f4 the difference was
invisible to me (film used was Fuji Velvia). Because I do shoot a lot at the
widest apertures and because the price at which I could get the ASPH was
exceedingly good, I went ahead and upgraded. But my advice to you is that you
really have to shoot at f2 or f2.8 to justify the change.

Still later, I sold the Summicron ASPH and bought the 1.4 Summilux ASPH, which
is now my most frequently used lens. So you might consider that route also. The
penalty in terms of size when you go from Summicron ASPH to Summilux ASPH is not
that great--neither lens is really small, nothing like your old Summicron.

Nathan

goldframe wrote:

> I’m going to get a 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M for my wife’s M6 camera bag kit.  I
> have the pre-ASPH and have always been happy with it but here I have the
> excuse to get the new one too.  I have heard some folks say the older
> version makes more pleasing exposures – the new one is too contrasty and
> ‘correct” and has “lost something”??
>
> Your comments are appreciated.
>
> Thanks - gold

- --