Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB R6.3A
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:30:47 -0700

A brief history of the FM2

In the first version released, the shutter would fall to pieces. It was
quickly updated.*

The shutter has a definite life span. Complete shutter replacements are not
uncommon.**

*source local camera store

**comments by local pros

I like the FM2; it is a great camera and I am sure the FM3a will be great
too. However, in forty years, it will be not be repairable nor supported by
Nikon. Regardless of all the complaints that are posted here against Leica,
they still FULLY SUPPORT my forty year old M2. I bought another Leica new
because I knew it would work for a long long time. I buy Leica lenses
because they fit my M cameras and they are VERY VERY good. Far too good for
a twit like me. Leica is a small company with limited R&D resources but they
produce wonderful cameras and simply stunning lenses. Their cameras are not
everyone's cup of tea and having one means nothing. If you want something
else, go for it. LEICA WILL NEVER BE  ABLE TO COMPETE WITH NIKON AND CANON
PERIOD

Cheers,

John Collier