Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: wireless modem connection
From: "Leslie Koh" <lys.koh@ops.orisun.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:15:00 +0800

Subject: [Leica] OT: wireless modem connection

> Someone posted here about a solution like the Apple Airport a few days
> ago. I have lost that mail, so I am posing this question: I would like
> to connect a Wintel PC to my ISDN line (an analog phone line is also
> available). Unfortunately, the room where that PC lives has no phone
> outlets. Is there a wireless solution for such a predicament?
>
> Thanks!
> Nathan Wajsman
> Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

Lucent has a home or SOHO wireless network solution that will solve your
problem.  I believe its called Orinoco and the standard kit consists of a
wireless hub and a PCMCIA wireless network card.  If you do not have a
PCMCIA slot on your PC, you will need an ISA or PCI type (depending on what
slots are available on your motherboard) PCMCIA adaptor card.  Set up is
normally quite easy - ISDN line goes into the hub, network card goes into
your PC and your all set.  Having said that, you will have to be prepared
for possible compatibility problems.  If you have IRQ/interrupt/memory
addressing/resource allocation problems that cannot be solved at the BIOS
level (common problem with some proprietary Win OS providers), a USB version
of the wireless network card was recently announced that would, I think,
work around these 'bugs'.

Hope this helps.

Leslie Koh