Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica/Novoflex 400/6.8 ...
From: "Patrick Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:36:45 -0500

    Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:57:48 -0500
    From: "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net>
    Subject: [Leica] Leica/Novoflex 400/6.8 ...

    Just curious. I was browsing through some of my old Leica
    brochures and in one of the "R" system booklets, found a picture
    of a 400/6.8 lenshead spliced onto a Novoflex follow-focus
    grip. Not pictured was the 560/6.8 version. Hmmm. Seems like a
    great idea. It doesn't appear to have been in the catalog for very
    long and I've never seen one in the flesh. Does anyone have any
    experience with this lens? Is it a real rarity?

    Dave F.

It's not a real rarity, but you should be aware of something that
other LUGgers advised me of when I bought a Novoflex 400 with
follow-focus grip in 1996 or so.  I didn't think it'd be a problem,
but in fact it became irritating enough that I was reluctant to take
the lens out.  When you use this lens around other people, people stop
and stare at you and then accost you and tell you they thought it was
a gun and you should watch out because somebody might get the wrong
idea and call the police.

This became irritating enough that I sold the lens a few months ago,
despite its excellent performance, and I'm currently in the market for
a long lens that doesn't have a follow-focus grip.

- -P.