Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks Doug - was: my beta website
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:51:05 -0800

>Doug Herr wrote:
>
>> One thing you might consider is smaller image files.  People get tired of
>> waiting for large images to load, especially people with slower modems.  At
>> least I do.  For my web image files I use JPEG compression in the range of 6
>> or 7, and the "baseline optimized" option.  These ususally get my file sizes
>> under 100k, for color images.  BTW, "Korean Lanterns" - Summicron?
>
>Thanks for the input Doug. I chopped the files down to 600x400 and changed
>the JPEG compression to 6 - that got them down to a more manageable 100K.
>[snip]
>William

Another thing you could do to limit file size is optimize the files before
you upload them. I use a program called Fireworks, which removes unused
colors from the color palette of the image to shrink the file size a bit.

The images I posted on my site are about the same size as yours, but mine
top out at about 65k (I should add that mine are only b&w images, but they
are jpgs at 80% "quality"). The program will even tell you how long the
files will take to download, so you can have an idea of transmission time
before putting the pix on-line.

If you want to check out download time of images approx. 600 (maybe 550)
pixels at their widest/tallest, here's a link to my site:

http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/

And don't forget to look at the pictures!  :)

Guy