Subject: RE: [Leica] Chicago Auto Show 2001 Photos
From: Richard Edwards <REdwards@Vetronix.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:54:38 -0800

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=67273

	> I think what i am seeing is grain: combined with heavy Jpeging
creating a
	> mosaic
	> which is a distraction when you look into the shadows. Nice cars
but  I'd
	love
> to see the original prints!

If you saw prints of these, you'd see similar sized chunks of
grain, but more subdued, random, and pleasing to look at.

The oatmeal in the shadows is grain aliasing. Scans
are good, IMO, but the pixels are having trouble
stumbling over the boundaries of the grain. Life isn't
fair: The scanner has enough resolution to do the
negative justice, but details below the level
necessary for our eyes don't mate with the hardware.

Pixel size is close to grain size, so interference
patterns result, as with a herringbone
tweed jacket on television. A scanner hardware
issue -- they all do it.

In the future, when we get to a zone where
pixels are several to a grain, this problem will
diminish to a second or third-order concern, or so
I'm told, and we'll no longer have to worry about it.

Mostly a problem with black and white. Check out:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm

- -A L