Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Cleaner
From: John Hudson <xyyc@home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:53:20 -0800

Stuart Boyd wrote:

> Thanks to those who responded to my inquiry about film cleaner.  I also
> emailed Kodak, and they responded with this:  The product 195 6986 has been
> discontinued, and their recommendation now is to use 98% or higher isopropyl
> alcohol.

The other day a film / negative / print retoucher with 30 plus years
experience told me that he uses a Q tip and a dab of household ammonia
to clean negatives. He did stress that the entire surface of the
negative had to be evenly covered with ammonia and that the Q tip should
be lightly and evenly applied to the surface. He showed me how this
treatment removed misapplied retouching ink from prints and with a 10
times loupe there was absolutely no damage to the surface of the print.
The ammonia had to be left to completely evaporate before further
retouching ink could be applied to the print.

Has anyone else used ammonia to clean negatives and dirty prints?

jh