Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Piezography - real print or not?
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:00:17 -0800

Mark:

You're right, that's the minimum, good lab methodologies are a basic
standard. But as evidenced by current and past practices, the work that
will be sought out by future generations will probably come from the
society's peripheries. A thankless task when ephemeral end product rules
the day there. Also, the attention to technical details, such as what
you have described, are seriously limited by economic strictures. In
particular, when times are tough, artist and photographers skimp to make
ends meet. Lastly, lab proficiency is a mannerism from another era that
is barely relevant at the moment. All of that has a cumulative effect in
the final product's archival properties. But is that necessarily bad
when the usage of a material with all its technical dependencies is
often a helpful marker for the historian. Besides, we can't presume that
what we generate will be of value to our posterity. More often than not,
it's not.
With that, frankly, I don't see why we have to worry one way or another
about longevity of a print. We use the materials as they are available.
It is more incumbent on the conservator to develop techniques that will
address this problem, than it is to us who generate the print.

Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Piezography - real print or not?)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Piezography - real print or not?)