Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: meter's shmeters..step away from the meter!
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:11:16 +0100

Oh my, my...

> Neither do I, but if it lets me make my photograph, so be it.  Batteries
> or none, mechanical or automatic, you're still at the mercy of your
> equipment.  There are probably more modes of failure in an all
> manual system that we'd ever feel comfortabel with if we knew everything
> about them, many of which don't even exist in electronic systems.
> Pick your poison and just go shooting.

Not exactly. Electronical cameras are more complicated. Also have elements
which die pretty quickly (electrolytic capacitors, LCD-s - 10-20 years).
Look at:
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/lcdlife.html

As a someone who repaired SM Leicas many times and know their interior,
I know that I can do most repairs with good screwdrivers set, some
brass sheets and old springs.. :-) There is really little that can go
wrong with these: new curtains are cheap and available everywhere,
also simple to make by yourself; semi-silvered mirrors are also available
in large quantities from optical supplies. Mechanics is virtually
indestructible, vulcanite you can buy new or substitute with e.g.
leather...

> If it's a control issue, take even more control: stick a second body
> on the shelf (exercise it once in a while) and when your first one dies in
> 20 years, shoot the next 20 years with the second.  You won't be at the
> mercy of a manufacturer, an independant repair center, repair costs,
> parts availability, or anyone.  That is, if you can still find film :)

Me no. I even have a Agfa Standard and can make my own negatives by
preparing AgNO3 gelatine emulsion and pouring it onto glas sheets..
Or Cyanotypes? Whatever.. :-) And I can even prepare my own developer
w/o any chemicals.. :-) :-)

> It's more fun to go out and make the images.
Right.
- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace