Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon Woes (why you should buy leica)
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:10:31 -0700

Car manufacturers actually make much more money over the life of the car
selling parts than they do in the initial sale. They can even sell the car
at a loss and still make substantial profits selling parts. The things are
complicated, require regular maintenance and frequently bump into each
other. A better test would be trying to buy an small, little likely to be
damaged, trim piece for a ten year old car. That's tough to do and your only
hope is the wreckers. Now if they just had wreckers for Leicas!

One shop I knew went out of business under unhappy circumstances and the
owner's car was seized as well. He wandered onto a local bridge with a small
non-wearing engine timing component which I believe took several years to
replace. Needless to say, it was not a Chevy but a DB6 Vantage. Not many
people parting out Aston Martins.

John Collier

> From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
>
> Until I sold my 1981 Mazda RX-7 last Fall, I had no problems getting
> repairs done to it.
>

> From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
>
> Strange: I have a 16 year old BMW which was discontinued several model
> cycles ago. Now that it is getting on a bit I buy parts for it quite
> frequently. :-( Why are car manufacturers able do this "impossible"
> thing?

and others...