Subject: RE: [Leica] Fake US Southerners
From: "Samuel M. Kennard" <sam@kennardind.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:15:40 -0800

And what sort of Bolshoi is this. Ever been to Lewis
Mountain looking upon the U? We 'uns have been here since
the 1670's.

<<
At 06:51 PM 3/8/2001 -0600, henry wrote:
>(apologies to our members from outside the US - its a
southern thang)

Bullshit, sir, with all due respect.  You dudes down in
Tidewater are just
that -- dressed-up, prancing dudes.  You want red-necks and
hill-folk, come
up here to the Appalachians.  Generations of inbreeding and
sipping at
Kerosene-cut 'shine have produced a rather unique outlook on
life.

My folks have been up here since the 1740's, north and
south.  We aren't
much on the inbreeding thing (a couple of fifth cousins and
the like), but
we do specialize in alcohol.  However, a genetic defect in
my clan has
deprived us of a taste for Kerosene, so we tend to stick to
the smoother
stuff.

But, Tidewater?  Brother, I spent three years in the
Flatlands at the
Marshall-Wythe School of the Law at the College of William
and Mary in
Virginia (and, me, a committed Jacobite, going to a school
named after this
Bonnie-and-Clyde pair!), and there is nary a red neck within
a zillion
miles of the area.  Hell, I commanded a National Guard
company in Richmond,
and we used to make the boys line up in formation, those
with a decent
heritage (west of Richmond) on one side, and those who were
too dumb to go
up North and get on welfare (east of Richmond) on the other.

So, the bottom line is that Tidewater is full of ignorance
galore and,
arguably, genetic defects of all sorts and conditions, but
neither a true
red-neck nor mountain folk (hell, the place is FLAT!) can be
found
thereabouts.

Now, the Appalachians are a completely different story.
Gentle folk in
gentle hills, but don't cross 'em, as their idea of a gentle
resolution to
disputes is that you go away, and they generally prefer that
you go away
"with extreme prejudice".  Beyond that, these are the true
item, and, yes,
many of them do hunt rabbit and squirrel for side meat.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!