Subject: Re: [Leica] Zoom Saga
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:56:55 -0800

Austin,

I would suggest that you read California Civil Code section 1572 for the
relevant definition of "fraud," not the dictionary. eBay, with headquarters
in California, specifies that its User Agreement is to be interpreted under
California law.

Granted, listing property for which one does not have title or the authority
to transfer title does not necessarily rise to the level of a criminal
offense until someone suffers damages (at which point civil liability is
also an issue), but it clearly is a violation of eBay's User Agreement -
which everyone who lists an item agrees to follow.

A finding of fraud does not require "deliberate deception" nor "unfair or
unlawful gain." I would not rely on the dictionary to render legal advice
any more than I would use it to render medical advice.

Bryan (yes, an attorney)