Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 Telyt, was Friday WTB 14182 60mm extension tube
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Mar 2001 16:24:51 -0800

On Sat, 10 March 2001, "Ken Iisaka" wrote:

> > On 10 Mar 2001, at 9:30, Ken Iisaka wrote:
> >
> > > Um, I have a confession.
> > >
> > > It became apparent that I was infected by the Leicaflex Telyt virus
> > > back in November, 1999, over the Pt. Lobos weekend.  Doug's awesome
> > > nature photographs aggrevated it.
> > >
> > > The symptoms started to appear while handling a used SL in January.
> > > After an unstoppable bidding frenzy at an infamous auction site, I
> > > ended up with a clean (though in need of a CLA) SL2 MOT, a R3-era
> > > Summicron 50mm, and finally, the mint- Telyt 400/6.8 from Australia.
> > >
> > > The entire package cost less than what one would pay for one new Leica
> > > lens.
> > >
> > > I'm off to Richardson Bay or Bolinas Lagoon in my 'hood today.
> >
> > Now don't start that! One of my local dealers who already has too
> > much of my money has a black SL2 and a 400 Telyt in the window!
> > But why would I buy a body just to use one lens on it?!
>
> Go get them :)
>
> It's certainly logical to buy a body to use one lens on it.  Telyt 400 is
> like no other lens ever made, and so is Noctilux.  A camera is only as good
> as the lens you can use on it, and Telyt 400 and Noctilux are enough of a
> reason to buy a SL/SL2 body and a M3 body respectively.

Ken, I hadn't thought of the 400 that way before but now that you mention it I only bought my first SL because I wanted to use the 400.  Tim, beware!  From that simple beginning as an R user I now have 5 bodies and 11 lenses if I count the boof's R4sP & 60 Macro.  I dare not buy an M camera.  FWIW my favorites are still the SL + 400 Telyt, and the 90mm Summicron-R I picked up 20+ years ago shortly after I started using the 400+SL.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe