Subject: [Leica] Martin Howard & Lewis Carroll
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:50:34 -0800

>Guy Bennett wrote:
>>
>> >What has happened to Martin?
>>
>> Been wondering the same thing myself 'bout that "prince of button boys," as
>> pornographer (d'après les discussions luggoises) Lewis Carroll put it.
>>
>><Snip>
>
>I recall Lewis Carroll said "Kids are wonderful! Except the boys!!"
>
>mark rabiner

He did make a statement similar to that one, indeed many such statements,
including how their bodies looked with and without clothes (boys should
definitely be clothed, girls were graceful and looked good without clothes,
etc).

And not to rehash that old argument, but as everyone knows, L.C. took
pictures of many a child, mostly girls and mostly clothed (yes, clothed).
He did do some nudes, almost always little girls. Here's how he went about
it: He contacted the parents, explaining his project (to make pictures of
their child, perhaps even in the nude [the child, not the photographer]).
He explained that they, the parents, would be present during the session
and that they would determine whether or not the nude photos as he was
planning and staging them were acceptable. If not, the nudes were
abandonned. If so, he made the pictures, sent them (can't remember if it
was both negs and a print, or just a print) to the parents. If the parents
found the shots objectionable, he destroyed the negs and whatever prints
had been made. If not he made and kept prints. I assume the parents also
received prints. Some of the nudes have survived. I assume that means that
some of the parents did not find them objectionable. (For details, see
Morton Cohen's excellent biography of Carroll.)

There are many books of his photography currently available. To me, the
nudes tend to be uninteresting - they are contrived images of Victorian
fancy (fairy scenes, etc.). The child portraits, on the other hand, are
fantastic.

Guy

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Martin Howard)