Subject: Re: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!-Copyright law
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:42:11 -0500

Rob -

This is not true!  Almost all of my stock photographs are sold for
editorial use.  They all carry my copyright notice.  If the copyright
notice is not included, it states in my delivery form that I will get three
times the regular billing rate.  I've never had to charge the extra because
editors know that if the copyright is not included they will either pay
extra or I will take them to court.  There is an additional penalty for
anyone who removes a copyright notice from a photograph and then uses it.

See:  http://www.editorialphoto.com/Internallinks/primer1.htm

and:  http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

The Fair Use doctrine applies to the distribution of a work, not the
copyright.  Under the fair use doctrine, it is permissible to use limited
portions of a work for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news
reporting, and scholarly reports; but the copyright notice must be included
when the work is reproduced for any purpose.  For example, a teacher may
make copies of a photograph to use in the classroom, but cannot remove the
copyright notice from the photograph.

If Marc included a copyright notice on his photographs, the reproduction of
them for any purpose without the copyright notice is an infringement of the
copyright law.

Legally,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP