Subject: Re: [Leica] Trying to improve my scans
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:01:15 +0100

On 12 Mar 2001, at 19:42, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Let's hear about your technique, I would benefit too.

You can do this in channels as well, but it you work in 16-bit mode
the channel option won't work.

1) Duplicate the image.
2) If the original is a 16-bit image, drop it to 8-bit (this can be done
after 3, 4 or 5)
3) Blur the duplication
4) adjust levels on the dupe, I usually pull the black and white
points well into the histogram. Adjust the grey pointer for the level
that you want the split to occur.
5) Blur again - I find this smooths out the mask that I'm going to
use. All the blur could be done in one step.
usually invert when loading to work on the dark tones first.
7) Adjust levels. If the selection is inverted, work only with the
black point and mid-grey.
8) Invert the selection, adjust the white point and mid-grey.
9) Deselect and finish as you normally would, spotting, sharpening.

This can also be used for color images in LAB mode, working only
on the L channel. It's my digital version of split printing.

If you give this a try, let me know what you think.

Tim