Subject: RE: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!-Copyright law
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:41:26 -0500

Anders -

It depends on how blatant the theft is.  If it seems like an honest
mistake, I don't mind charging the normal fee.  If it is obvious that they
tried to cheat me, I will charge 3x the normal fee.  I really don't have
this problem very often.  Most publishers respect copyrights.  They are
either honest or they know that word will get out.  Editorial Photographers
has 774 magazines listed on their site and there is frequent discussion on
the list about the good guys and the bad guys.

Tina

At 02:41 PM 3/12/01 -0600, you wrote:
>De: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
>

>SNIP
>
> >  If I find that someone has stolen the use of one of my
> >photographs, you can believe that they will get an invoice from me; and, if
> >the copyright notice is not present or mangled, they will get an invoice
> >for three times the standard use rate.  The fact that something is standard
> >practice does not make it right or legal.
>

>Tina
>Doesn´t this, (being charged only the normal fee if cought), in some way
>encourage the unauthorized use of photos? Since there is no real penalty.
>It can tempt publishers to unauthorized use, since they only have to pay
>the normal price if caught.
>Or is the idea that it should be "cheap" enough to they dont try to fight
>it.
>
>/Anders Nygren

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com