Subject: [Leica] Re: [SP] Trying to improve my scans
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:09:18 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Steve LeHuray wrote:

> http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/paw12.html
>
> and then the improvement:
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im10.jpg

Steve,

I took the liberty of opening that picture in Photoshop. I cropped out
the white border (to get rid of white pixels that could bias results)
and looked at the histogram. It looks like you're not using the lower
range of values, (I don't exactly remember, it was last night at
home), lower than about 40 or so (I don't quite remember, it was last
night at home.) I was able to improve the image a bit more by just
doing an "Auto levels" on the image.

As other people have said, try to do these adjustments in 16 bits, and
stay away from brighness and contrast. Levels and Curves are usually
enough. There are some good Photoshop tutorials on the net, that
include cuves. I don't have an URL, but if you do a search in Google
for "photoshop curves" or "photoshop tutorials", I'm sure you'll find
them.

 Juan J. Buhler | FX Animator @ PDI | http://www.crosswinds.net/~jbuhler