Subject: [Leica] Cuban anecdote
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:29:52 -0800

A cuban anecdote:

It was an early Sunday morning and I was taking shots of the street
wearing an orange vest. An elderly gentleman on his morning walk, walks
by me once and then twice. He stopped and asked if I was a surveyor, to
which I replied, "no I just want to make sure the cars will at least see
what they are about to hit if it came to that." One sentence led to
another, and this being San Pedro, half an hour of conversation goes by.
It turned out he was a veteran of the Spanish Civil War, a Republican
Volunteer. So somewhere in the conversation, the issue of international
volunteers comes up. I asked if it was true that Mexico had the largest
group, and he said no. According to him the Cubans sent the largest
delegation of volunteers. Needless to say, I blinked few times, trying
to get my bearing around my crippling americanized education, as he
explained to me his experience with the Cubans. It was a  great
neighborhood moment that was capped off with a great letter from him a
few days later commenting on our happenstance meeting.
And yes, I did get a few shoots of him with my Rollei with Agfa 25.

Slobodan Dimitrov

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] Cuban anecdote)