Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lens coating
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:50:02 -0500

If the lens "works beautifully, with no flare or ghost images", I don't
think you have anything to worry about.

dan c.

At 08:02 AM 15-03-01 +0800, Dr H L Lau wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Could you please help me on this?
>
>I have a 50mm Summilux (no. 166xxxx) M-mount, probably made in 1959, which
I bought used some time ago.  One day when my friend looked at this lens,
he said it had something weird about its coating. The
>reason he gave is that when you look at the reflected images from the lens
surface under a lamp, the series of reflected images are coloured (which is
normal) but one of them in the middle of the series is
>not coloured (white if you look under a fluorescent lamp, which he said is
abnormal and shows a coating problem or re-coating).

>The lens works beautifully, with no flare or ghost images (well, I did not
shoot at a light source).

>Is there really a coating problem? Or is it "normal" for a Summilux of
this vintage? I've looked into Laney, Bower and Kisselbach and could not
find an answer.  Is this something I have to look out for when

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Re: Lens coating)