Subject: [Leica] Vulcanite
From: "BT" <smpat@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:52:48 -0000

I once (20+ years ago) received a quote of CDN$200 to replace the Vulcanite
on an M4 I owned. Leica informed me that the reason it was so "expensive"
was that they actually had to replace the entire body shell. I eventually
decided to go for it, and dropped the camera off.

When I picked it up, they nicely informed me that the $200 was actually the
cost of the shell alone, but that it had been their mistake, so I got the
labour and at least part of a CLA free.

It should be noted that some 3rd-party Leica service people can do excellent
Vulcanite repairs (as in undetectable without a magnifier).

Finally, I would avoid BackToBlack, Black Magic, etc. Great on a car bumper,
but these products are almost pure silicone. Silicone is a strong eye
irritant, and you are certain to transfer it from the camera to your face
and eyes. It's also VERY slippery (which is why you never put such stuff on
your motorcycle seat or steering wheel!) possibly leading to Dropped Leica
Syndrome.

I'm a member of the Lexol camp. Wipe on, wipe off, let sit overnight, polish
residue off with a soft cloth.

Steve Patriquen
London