Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:14:08 -0800

There's been a lot of criticism levelled at Cosina (here and elsewhere) over the Bessa-T, but I have to say I love it when a serious company does something this extravagantly odd. Not every camera out there has to emulate the EOS-1v, the F5, or even the M6. There has to be room in this world for the quirky, the off-beat and the downright eccentric. Doesn't there?  Who knows what Mr. Kobayashi is thinking? Who cares? I see this camera as a pure expression of joy, and I'm so thankful it's not yet another anonymous amorphous blob of microchipped plastic - or even a halfhearted M6 wannabe.

We can argue all we want about what we would have made if we owned Cosina, but the fact remains that they have brought a camera to the world whose purpose isn't immediately apparent. You actually have to think about it; you have to try and decide how you would use it, and whether or not it would fit with your style. And in the process you actually have to think about what your style is...

Those of you who think it's an idiotic piece of gear are under no compulsion to buy one. Those of you who can think of a possible niche for it in your work can buy one and try it out with little financial risk. Those (like me) who think it's a cool "objet d'art" but just isn't going to be practical given the way they shoot can pass on it but continue to admire a company that is prepared to ignore the received wisdom of the Nicanoltax (and even Leica) pundits and blaze its own trail.

And let us not forget that Cosina is proving itself to be a most prolific generator of new gear. Who knows what is going to leap from their febrile imaginations into the camera stores in the next year or two?

My reaction is that it's great to see a camera company that looks like it's having some fun for a change.

Paul

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)