Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa T/Apology from Steve with Comment
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 09:52:50 -0500

Tom,

My apologies to you and to all members of the LUG for the considerable flap
that I have caused. But, let me explain:

 I never questioned your integrity in my original post, rather, I was
wondering out loud about what seemed to me to be an obvious situation, and
that is the over-promotion of Cosina in a publication, VIEWFINDER, owned by
the Leica Historical Society of America (LHSA). And let me state that I do
not have my head stuck in the sand, nor am I a Leica fanatic oblivious to
all the other good camera systems including Cosina products.

I too have dealt with the Asian culture for many years and still do. Many
years ago when I worked on the editorial staff of a motorcycle magazine it
was fairly commonplace when doing a favorable road test on a Japanese
motorcycle to be offered the opportunity to buy one of those motorcycles for
a token amount of money (would you believe $50 for a $1500 motorcycle) that
was called "promotional consideration" and when I quit that industry I had a
garage full of almost brand new motorcycles that I sold for a tidy profit.

Even today as the Publisher/Editor of a trade magazine
(http://www.icommag.com) for the professional film & video industry there
are opportunities for me to take advantage of "promotional consideration"
and we are talking about very large, well known companies (I did not pay for
this Mac G4 that I am writing on this very minute). In other words, 'You
scratch my back and I will scratch yours.'

So when I see glowing reports on any product in a periodical I am left
wondering. In your case I certainly understand that you are a camera
gearhead who loves talking about, playing with, designing products and using
them. I thoroughly enjoy reading everything you have ever written and I
value your opinion on all of the camera products that you have evaluated.
The wondering comes from experience with manufacturers who Know a
promotional opportunity when they see it and will take advantage of it. So
here are you are a good natured, happy go lucky gearhead who has unwittingly
helped sell many thousands of dollars worth of Cosina camera equipment. I
dunno, maybe you should be a paid consultant.

Let me repeat, my apologies to you and I will continue to look forward to
your writings and evaluations. But, I do wish that you and the editor of
VIEWFINDER will understand that once something gets into print it leaves a
lasting impression and a possibility of a bias.

Regards,

Steve LeHuray

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com> ([Leica] air it out privately)