Subject: [Leica] Re: A real Leica mystery
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:33:22 EST

Can anyone in the LUG help me solve a small mystery? My son is an account
executive for NCR and was involved in setting up automatic teller machines
for the Japanese Sumitomo bank. One of bank executives learned that my son
was a camera collector and gave him a "mystery" camera that the bank owned.
My son asked me to identify it and I am at a loss to give him an answer.

The camera is an SLR with an all black polycarbonate body about the size of
an M series Leica. A red Leitz (not Leica) medallion is fixed to the front of
the mirror housing. There are no manufacturer's identifying marks on the
body. The focal plane shutter is a metal blade device, probably made by
Copal. The camera is both automatic and manual with two programs and a self
timer. The lens mount is complex with a stainless steel adaptor plate with a
Leica SLR flange taking what appears to be an early R series lens which in
turn fits a K mount on the camera body. The adaptor can be removed by taking
out a couple of screws and K mount Pentax lens fitted. Lens automation is
complete with either lens. Externally the camera appears to be a modified
Chinon CP-5 but there is no indication whatever identifying the maker.

Inside the camera there are the engraved words "E. Leitz - versuch
#549.73990-3". My son told me that when he received the camera there was a
paper sticker inside with handwritten Japanese characters which he loosely
translated as "engineering test sample." A date 5/4/84 was also written on
the sticker.

My first thought was that the camera was a phony destined for the Japanese
collector's market, but my son assured me that the bank executive was sincere
and would have lost considerable face as well as lucrative business if a
deception was discovered. My second thought was that it indeed was an
engineering development sample, commissioned by Leitz during the early '80s
as a possible lower cost replacement or auxiliary to the R-3. I know that
Leitz did enter into a number of negotiations with other manufacturers during
that period, most notably Minolta for contract manufacturing (i.e the
Leitz/Minolta CL) in order to offset high German production costs.

Does anyone have any information or rumors about this? Are there any other
crypto-Leicas around, unacknowledged illegtimate children of Wetzlar?

Larry Zeitlin

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: A real Leica mystery)