Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:11:26 +0100

Hi John and welcome!

For your 35mm needs, a pre-ASPH Summicron is within your budget and a wonderful
lens. For 50mm, you can buy a new Nocton, which according to various tests is
sharper than the 50mm Summilux (although I personally prefer the latter). You
can also buy the 50mm Summicron, and incidentally I am selling a mint example of
the latest version for a price within your budget (see my ad from Friday or
contact me off list). You really cannot go wrong with any of these lenses.

Nathan

"John M. Holcomb" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm new on LUG and looking for some advice. I currently own a Contax G2
> outfit with which I've never been completely satisfied. I often use the G's
> 90 lens wide open and up close, and I find the AF is sometimes taxed beyond
> its limit. The G's "return to infinity, then refocus for each shot"
> mechanism is also really annoying. I will admit that I've been spoiled by
> the quality of the Zeiss lenses, though, and would be dissatisfied with any
> of lesser quality after getting used to Zeiss quality.
>
> So I've decided to get an M6 35-50-90 outfit. I've done a little reading
> (and lurking), and have settled on the 90 2.8 Elmarit-M. My choices for 50
> and 35 are still open. My question is what are the best 35 and 50 lenses for
> about $800 or less, used, in nice, clean condition. My inclination is to buy
> a pre-asph 35 Summicron, and a recent model 50 Summicron with detachable
> hood, as Steven Gandy suggests. I would appreciate any thoughts or input.
>
> How do the Cosina 35 1.7 and 50 1.5 lenses compare with the Leica lenses
> mentioned above? I know this might be heresy, but can't resist asking.
>
> Finally, are there any current or former Contax G users out there who would
> care to comment on switching to Leica, or adding Leica to their "arsenal."
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> John Holcomb

- --
Nathan Wajsman