Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL Explanation
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 19 Mar 2001 08:09:23 -0800

On Mon, 19 March 2001, "Jason Hall" wrote:

> > Excuse my naivete but I do not understand what Dick Gilcreast means
> when he
> > comments in Volume 28 No 2 1995 on the SL that "the central
> microprism is
> > cut for the relatively large lens speed of f2.8 ...and is therefore
> > relatively more accurate shooting at f2". He also says that the best
> lenses
> > to use with the SL screen are f2, f2.8, f3.4 and f3.5 lenses.
>
> He means that the central miscroprism partially blacks out past f4 and
> the surrounding ground glass has to be used for focusing, between f2.8
> and f4 it is less effective than at f2 unless you are focussing on a
> bright subject.
>
> > He makes similar comments about the outer prisms being "cut for
> about f5.6".
>
> Im not sure what he means by this, my SL appears to be plain ground
> glass outside the central microprism and is usable stopped down past
> 5.6 although it does become more difficult to focus.  I believe there
> is more than one type focus screen installed in the SL though and I
> only have one example, I also dont have any lenses slower than 2.8, I
> was testing by stopping a 50 Summicron down with the DOF preview.
>
> Maybe Doug can comment further, I've been thinking of adding a slow
> Telyt to my kit and hadnt considered the screen until reading your
> comment above.
>
> Jason Hall

?? why on earth would anyone think I'd read a message with the subject line "Leicaflex SL" ?? <g>

The area outside the SL's central microprism area looks like ground glass but AFAIK it's composed of extremely small microprisms.  The SL's standard viewscreen works extremely well with the f/6.8 Telyt.  Some SL bodies have plain matte viewscreens (a special-order or retrofit item) that was intended for use with longer lenses.  I haven't used an SL with this viewscreen.  Since I can focus on flying birds with the standard screen I don't feel the need for the other viewscreen.  The central microprism area is more difficult to use at f/6.8 so those who would rather focus in that area might prefer the matte viewscreen.  BTW the SL2's standard viewscreen with the split-image focussing aid can also be installed in the SL.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe