Subject: Re: [Leica] Rolleinars and Leica Macros
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:41:01 -0600

>Look, I'm really not in any sense anti-Leica.  I'm just unwilling to accept
>the mediocrity occasional produced in *Solms.*  Wetzlar seemed a superior
>facility, in almost every way; I'll grant that Solms has produced lenses a
>touch sharper, with better coating (but then most companies have improved
>over time in this regard).
>
>And it's not that I *don't like* this Elmarit-M.  I adore it, in terms of
>its image-rendering characteristics, and am simply saddened by the shoddy
>construction, and banal design.  It's a great lens -- very much a *Leica*
>lens -- compromised by sub-standard production values.
>
>Douglas Cooper

Douglas,

OK, I have an Elmarit M 90 that is really nice - jewel like. No
possibility of complaint about its build or performance. Yes, they do
look like tubes but that did not change suddenly when you bought the
lens. It looks the same now as when you first laid eyes on it. Mine looks
just like the catalog photo - is yours different somehow?

Maybe you got a bad one. Send it back and ask that it be corrected. Just
know that it will look the same when they return it.

No reason to accept mediocrity - so send that lens back and get it fixed!

I think this is like going to an ice cream store and bitching about the
chocolate. If you don't like chocolate then pick the vanilla or the
butter pecan!

Grab some beater body and put that Tamron on it and just leave it there.
It can be your macro tool. Your M camera won't do that job anyway unless
you buy a Viso.
Or that little Olympus might be nice.

Henry