Subject: [Leica] Re: To the defense of the 100 Apo Macro
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:47:30 +1100

Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com> wrote:

>The fact is that the out of focus characteristics of the APO-Macro-Elmarit
>2.8/100 are generally thought dire:  they "put one's teeth on edge".  You
>don't find even a hint of this on Erwin's site.  And Leica has no doubt sold
>a great number of these lenses based on his enthusiasm.

Hmm, interesting paragraph.  You cite as a "fact" what is only
hearsay from unknown sources.

Like Nathan Wajsman & Doug Herr, I also own and use the 100mm APO
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with its bokeh or colour or
handling 3D objects.  Nothing.  Period.  Like a few others I use
it to photograph real subjects in the real world, and not just
while sitting at my desk with an empty camera and focusing on my
desk lamp.

My only complaints with the lens is that it is much larger and
heavier than my previous 90mm R Summicron, and that it uses
very-hard-to-get-in-Australia E60 filters.

The weight though is actually an advantage sometimes because
it helps give the camera more inertia when out shooting in
windy conditions (eg. in 40 knot winds at the entrance to
Sydney harbour last Friday).

Also, managed to solve the E60 problem a year ago by getting
a Tiffen 60->55 step-down ring.  Luckily there is no vignetting
as the 100 APO has a deep, 10mm collar inside the 60mm filter
thread.  With the ring permanently in place, my 100 APO is now
a E55 lens and can double-up filters and lens caps with my 50mm
R Summicron.

The image quality from the 100 APO lens _is_ spectacular.
One of the best lenses I own.  But of course to extract
the best from this lens you have to _always_ use a camera
support, be it tripod or (in my case) a monopod.  A softie
or cable release is also essential.

Now - if you want to attack an over-rated lens, why not
the M Noctilux (fuzz city) or 35mm M ASPH (flareville)...

;?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds