Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm Elmarit-M, Quality Concerns
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:29:42 -0800

>I'm concerned about this Elmarit-M, however.  Yes, I knew that it was a
>plug-ugly lens when I decided to get one, but the rave reviews, from people
>I trust, more than overcame that concern:  really, I use lenses to take
>pictures, not as the subject of pictures.

Your many posts today about the aesthetic qualities of camera equipment
seem to belie the above statement.

And I do find it pretty
>wonderful, optically (although I've yet to test for flare -- and am
>surprised that it is thought to have problems in that department).  I phoned
>DAG, and he suggested that he could probably tighten up the play in the
>front barrel and the focusing, so I think I'm going to keep this lens.

If you're serious about it as a useful (as opposed to whatever your
personal definition of beautiful would be) lens, you won't be disappointed.
Aside from your subjective gripes about it's appearance, I have never heard
a negative comment about this lens, especially as a performer.

>That
>does not really excuse Leica from releasing a thousand dollar lens into the
>market place -- even one example -- with this kind of flaw.

The above statement is always the clincher with such posts: the bottom line
always reveals itself: "at such a price, this lens should be absolutely
perfect!!!" It sounds like you got a bad sample. If you're not happy with
it, exchange it for another one that you have tested, return it for a
refund and buy something else, or get in touch with Leica and see if they
can fix it for you. Belaboring the point with dozens of whining messages to
the LUG will not accomplish anything.

>I'm interested:
>is the front barrel of your Elmarit (or anyone else's) like this:  ie. can
>you move it at all relative to the bayonet?  I tried one at B&H, and it was
>solid as a rock.  Perhaps this tiny amount of play is within spec, however.

I've got the lens in question. I have had no problems with it. Like the one
you saw at B&H, it is solid as a rock.

>Douglas Cooper

Guy