Subject: [Leica] My First Post!
From: "Dave" <david.cross@att.net>
Date: 19 Mar 101 20:42:05 -0500

Hello Gentle-people!

I thought I would finally post to the LUG!  My name is Dave Cross.
I'm 28 and I live in Laurel, MD, USA.  I've been reading this forum
for quite a while and can honestly say that I've learned more about
_photography_ here than anywhere else on the Internet.  I'm an
electrical engineer.  Even with occasional OT threads (most of which I
enjoy) the signal to noise ratio here is really high.  As someone who
has never ventured out of this country (and I hope to remedy that soon
- - I can afford to now) the periodic posts about travel to other places
are especially interesting and useful.  Keep 'em coming!  Indeed I
consider the international nature of the LUG to be one of its best
points.

I got into rangefinders the traditional way.  I read about them
(thanks Mr. Gandy), then went out and bought a mint Minolta Hi-matic
7sii.  Nice machine.  Good fast lens, leaf shutter with flash sync up
to 1/500s.  Next I bought a Zorki 4.  I really enjoy using it.  The
50/2 Jupiter-8 lens has a pleasing look to it.  The rangefinder camera
is small and elegant.  I've used many cameras, and personally own too
many.  I started with a Minolta SRT101, and purchased many MC/MD
lenses and an X-700 - now discontinued :(.   I have a 500C/M here too
(on semi-infinite loan from my uncle).  I'd use the 'blad even more if
I could project or scan 2 1/4 chromes more easily.

 I shot a wedding once - talk about pressure!.  That's the only time I
got paid for photography.

I recently bought a new M6TTL 0.85, 50/2 summicron and SF-20.
Needless to say I love this stuff.  I'm not sure why the M is the only
camera system I actually lusted after.   Oh well, you all know about
that.  BTW I received my $300 rebate check from Leica NJ the other day
for my new kit.

Now that I've introduced myself, I'd like to ask about
color-correction filters.   For accurate color on slides, color
filtration is the only real option (right?).   OTOH, using negative
film I get overly warm prints when I shoot under tungsten lights with
daylight film (e.g. Supra 800).  The store said they could correct for
some of the imbalance - but they usually don't do it selectively on a
roll.  Now if the _entire_ roll was shot under tungsten lights, a
uniform correction with minilab processing would be more convenient.
There are a few tungsten-balanced negative films available, but none
are terribly fast.  Can these films be pushed successfully?  Are 80
series filters my best choice?  Just wondering if others handle this
problem differently/better.  After all, fast print film and fast M
lenses go well together.  Then again ANY film and fast M lenses go
well together!

Thanks very much!  I'll try to limit my verbosity in the future.

Dave Cross

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] My First Post!)