Subject: Re: [Leica] My First Post! - and now, filtering for tungsten light
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:23:28 -0600

Dave Cross wrote:
>Hello Gentle-people!
>
>I thought I would finally post to the LUG!

and then asked about how to deal with color correction under tungsten
light.

Welcome Dave!

The trouble with filtering for tungsten is that you lose a lot of light.
If you are using 800 speed film now I suspect its because you are working
in low light and need the speed. So for the simple way I suggest that you
simply shoot your pictures on color neg film and then request that the
lab correct them individually. For what its worth I've found Fuji films
with the 4 layer technology (Superia) to handle tungsten/mix better than
Kodak films - a little better. If the lab you are using does not do this,
look for another lab.

Another solution is to use flash to cool off the tungsten light and add
light to the scene in general. This makes it easier for the lab to
balance your pictures. Adding a little blue light helps (from the flash).
Or if you don't like the mixed look then gel the flash to match the
ambient and keep all the correction for the lab.

Last resort is to use CC filters. Its the most trouble but you do get
better color. If you do this and use your flash remember that you will
need to gel the flash to match the tungsten or your pictures will go
blue! So put a blue filter on the lens and a warming gel on the flash. Or
just the blue filter if you are not going for flash. The good news here
is that with a RF camera you don't have to look through the filter. You
should experiment with which filter you use. A little warmth might look
better than too cool.

Really last resort is to shoot transparency. Unless you MUST project or
MUST use chrome film for some very good reason - don't do it. Your
choices here are Kodak EPH or Fuji's 1600 whatever its called. Push
processing and extra charges for it. The result will not equal print
film. IMO (unless you want that look, which can be a good thing)

Henry