Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: 35 1.4 vs. 35 1.4 asph
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:29:45 +0100

My first M lens was the pre-asph 1.4/35. My sample should be from the
late 1970s. It is my most heavily used lens, mainly because of compact
size (laziness, if I want to carry only one body and lens) and usefull
field of view for indoor. It sees what I can see with my eyes, with
speed reserve in low light. I don't miss a Noctilux. I basically agree
to TomA's description, with some extra caveat reagarding flare under
adverse lighting conditions (I use UV filter :-). I considered the asph,
but with regard to my rather mean talent, combined with a certain
preference for HP5+ or TCN, I couldn't justify the extra bulk and cost.
On the other hand, if there is focal length worth to invest in maximum
image quality AND speed in the same package, it would be 35mm.

2 years ago I however couldn't resist to purchase one of the 1st version
lenses, in beautiful chrome and with goggles for the M3. I paid much
less for this than for my "modern" pre-asph, but I pamper it more. It is
totally irrational. So am I now facing deportation to the Leica
collctor's list?

And of course a chrome lens on a chrome M3 with goggles is more of an
eyecatcher. People ask qustions.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: 35 1.4 vs. 35 1.4 asph)