Subject: [Leica] Re: enlarging lenses for b&w photography
From: Frederik.Boone@harol.be
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:26:43 +0100

I had similar results compared to Kip Bobingtons testing in comparing
enlarging lenses. I compared the Leitz focotar (schneider model), Leitz
focotar-2 and Schneider componon-s. It was extremely dificult to see any
difference, in fact I did not see any at f8. At f5,6 the componon-s was a
little more contrasty.
The focotar-2 is told to be superior but I could not notice that and since
it was not mine I had the choice between the focotar and the componon-s. I
decided to use the focotar for b&w on my focomat and the componon-s on my
smal colour enlarger which I use only occasionaly. There the extra speed is
usefull since that colour enlarger is realy weak in its light output.
It is told that other than Leitz lenses don't autofocus on the focomat 1c.
That is according to my experience not correct, I have perfect autofocus
with the focotar and the componon-s after calibration.
Frederik