Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: 35mm M Summicron ASPH lens-flare
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:41:55 -0600

 >I have come to expect to be able to point my lens towards the sun
>(or any other bright light source) and I regularly do, I am also one of those
>detractors that have found problems with flare induced by reflections of UV
>filters, maybe this is why :-)

>See: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/snow1.jpg (Pentax 16mm fisheye)
>
>Hats are virtually mandatory here, ask anyone who has travelled here, they
>get warned but most usually end up finding out the hard way :-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rob Studdert
Rob,
Thats a nice picture. I like having the sun visible - for me it makes the
picture so much more "outdoor" feeling! Sure I know trees grow outside
but the sun or the moon or stars or clouds add so much. I love stuff
happening in the sky.

This example shows what I would expect from a lens that DOES handle flare
well.
It might be interesting to experiment with this a little to see if there
is a way to pin down this flare issue. I gues it could be pretty simple -
just walk out and point the camera at the sun!

I know filters add to the problem, but when you need one you need one.
(and the rest of the time you don't!)

Henry