Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtländer VC Meter
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:24:58 -0500

Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Do you mind describing how to take the reading?
>
> Do you frame and push a button that then "remembers" the
> reading, so that when you take the camera away from your
> eye, you can figure out the f-stop/shutter combination?
> This is the "MR" method.
>
> Or do you have to try to point the camera to the subject,
> and find the f-stop/shutter combination by balancing the
> LEDs?

Closer to the latter. I find a mid tone, aim the camera/meter at it, twiddle
the dials 'til only the green LED is lit, find brighter and darker tones and
note how much the readings diverge, maybe twiddle the dials some more, then
finally set aperture and shutter speed on the camera. I do this once, then
leave the settings alone 'til I either notice a change in the light or frame
a particularly dark or light subject. I've been using basically the same
method since I was a teenager (20+ years ago). The VC meter is well suited
to it.

- -Dave-