Subject: [Leica] New user impressions
From: "John M. Holcomb" <jholcomb@one.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:43:41 -0500

Yesterday. I received my M6 .85 TTL, which I bought from LUGger Steve
Barrett. The camera is beautiful, and exactly as advertised. I also received
a nice 90 2.8 Elmarit (used), which I bought from Don Chatterton. I prefer
screw -on or clip-on hoods to built-in, however, to use for protection in
lieu of a filter.

I took the advice of several LUGgers and bought a new 35 Summicron from
Delta International. The service was excellent-I received the lens this
morning. The lens looks perfectly constructed; but for the price, the shade
and cap really should be metal. I'll probably just wait to get a 50. The 35
framelines are very close to the viewfinder edge, but I don't wear glasses,
and don't think I'll have any problems.

The M6 is a joy to hold and use. It feels as if properly maintained, it
should last 100 years, minimum. I chased my kids around the house with the
M6, Elmarit, and a roll of Tri-X last night-can't wait to see the results.
On a few occasions, I think I noticed the RF spot flare phenomenon discussed
recently on list. Seems to happen when there is a strong point light sorce
in the frame. A fix recently discussed involved an attachment for the
illuminator window-could someone direct me to it. I don't want to put tape
over the window-rather inelegant.

Now all that remains-other than actually taking photos- is to buy a nice
bag. I don't really like the Contax G System bag I have. It's too bulky and
"constructed; more a case than a bag. I want something small, light, and
floppy-the M Classics bag looks nice, as do the Domke 803(?), Courierware
Incognito extra small, and several Foggs. Not too familiar with Billinghams.
Ideas?

Thanks for all you help.

John Holcomb

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] New user impressions)