Subject: [Leica] Rolleiflex images (including some Deadman landscapes - yikes!)
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:51:11 -0500

Since people seem to be interested in the Rolleiflex debate, here are some
images I took a couple of months ago with my very battered old 3.5. I think
they're quite different from what I'd have done with a leica. In particular,
the square format changes the compositional game completely... I always feel
when composing for the square that I'm a ballerina on tiptoes, so to speak.

I have put them on Zing but for those of you who don't get on with that
site...

    http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292845991

... there is also a mirror on pinkheadedbug.

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/images/almostwhitexmas

Also the first image and several of the others demonstrate that surprisingly
for a tessar the bokeh of the 3.5 lens is really very nice. These were shot
wide open but the sharpness (at the centre at least) is excellent.

Also many of you will already have seen these but the Rolleiflex is also a
wonderful camera for street photography. A week before I shot the above I
went out for a day on Oxford Street with a Rollei, some color print film and
a strobe and shot the following, which even surprised me.

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/htrevisited/index.html

NB I have crossposted this to Streetphoto as

(a) some of the images were indisputably taken on streets and

(b) Bee Flowers (the Muscovite Bernard from this list... oops, sorry, did I
blow your cover?) wanted to know if I had actually taken any pictures in the
last decade. Answer: a few. I know he'll hate the landscapes, but hey.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Rolleiflex images (including some Deadman landscapes - yikes!))