Subject: [Leica] Re: Equivalent Focal Lengths
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:58:15 -0500

Douglas Cooper wrote:

Are you saying that a 75mm on 6x6 gives precisely the same field of view
as a 49mm, and that if I lopped off the top and bottom of the picture to
create the
same aspect ratio as 35, I'd have a normal lens?

Yes, Doug, that's exactly what I'm saying. Forget the math. You can see
it with your own eyes. Just set up your 2-1/4 camera with 75mm lens on a
tripod and look through it. Note exactly what you can see on each side
of the frame. Then hold a 35mm camera with 50mm lens exactly above it
and see what you can see side to side in the viewfinder.

I also have experienced that an equivalent lens on a square format
camera somehow "feels" wider, but no matter how it "feels," it isn't
actually wider. The side to side angle of view of your 75mm lens is 40
degrees, and a 49mm lens on 35 covers that same 40 degrees.

Dave Jenkins