Subject: RE: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use"
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:45:02 -0600

>God I hate going to a gallery and looking at a wall full of "gelatin
>silver" prints - even when they're nice snaps. The value system implicit
>in that naming convention (and "giclee") irks me no end.
>
>Paul

Isn't that the truth.
Last December I was in Chicago and saw some great photography. Some not
so nice. Some really bad stuff hanging on museum walls that could have
used the space better by thumbtacking the newspaper up.

 They were nearly all called with pretentious names for their process;
gelatin silver, chromogenic print, and so on. I wonder what the makers
called them? I did notice that they did not label the famous PAINTINGS.
Nobody seemed to care what the VanGogh was painted with. Why the
preoccupation with how the photo print is made?

Henry

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use")