Subject: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: "w.gower@netmail.home.com" <w.gower@femail.sdc1.sfba.home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:53:59 -0500

A. H. Ongun wrote:

>I agee with Mike here. In a wedding (I know, I have participated in a few
>myself ) the occasion is what is important and a good wedding photog will
>be unobtrusive.

I took the walk down to the chapel last October, and during the planning stage, I was entrusted to find the right photographer. To save money, we hired him for 4 hours - 2 hours prior, and 2 hours after the ceremony.

He was very unobtrusive, and mananaged to gather the guests and family members for the formal shots quickly - the formal shots were his forte. Although, in about 10 shots, I have a large flower sticking out of my head. They make me mad every damn time I see them ! How could he not have noticed the damn thing behind me!!

His big selling point was that he handed over the unexposed film at the end and let us do what ever we wanted. They stayed in the fridge until we got back from our honeymoon, then processed at a local professional lab. (In hindsight, I wish I had done the B+W myself - Tri-X and HC110 is an awful combination, which was what the lab used.)

Flower sticking out of my head aside, if anything, it's the candids that were most dissapointing. We relied on friends and family to get these shots. One word - horrible. If we had to do it again, we would hire a pro to do the whole evening. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Incidentally, the best candids were taken by a 12 year old cousin. He was the only kid at our wedding, so to keep him occupied, I bought a Polaroid Camera and 10 boxes of film and let him go. The idea was that the Polaroids were to be given to the guests afterwards. He took some great shots, the best were included in our album. Amazing - a 12 year old with a Polaroid outshoots a legion of semi-talented adults armed with AF Nikons and Canons.

Insist on reviewing the potential photographers portfolio (I was surprised how many didn't have one) and hire the best photographer you can (or can't) afford. It's only money.

Regards

William

http://www.mail2web.com/ .