Subject: RE: [Leica] Giclee and gelatine (was SNAPS etc.)
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:16:11 -0600

>> so I'm really grumbling in my
>> single-malt,
>
>> Paul
>

>Ha ha ha - "single-malt" now there's a nicely pretentious term. Don't you
>just mean whisky! Why on earth would you need to define the actual process
>with such elitist terminology...? What on earth does it matter to your
>average whisky drinker? Oh, and of course, it sure drives the pricing up ;-)
>
>Tim A

I've thought a bit more about what it is that bothers me about this
naming thing.

Partly its that somehow I believe that detailed technical explanation is
beyond the interest/ability of most viewers/buyers to understand. By that
I mean that they won't really "get it" but will simply categorize the
method as "good" or "bad" based on what they last read in some collecting
magazine or on "common knowledge" of whats good or bad or what their
friend "who knows about this" told them.

An example would be the country of origin of wines - if a wine is from
Country A its good if its from Country B its bad (or somehow not as
good). A decision is reached without tasting!

What makes it hurt is that much like a wine producer who is relegated to
a lesser class without tasting, a photograph can be relegated in a
similar fashion. If its on RC its not as good as fiber. If its color its
bad. If its inkjet its automatic crap. I know those things are not true.
A lot of the world does not and the result is not tasting (deciding for
oneself) but buying (or not) based on what some art/wine expert writes
about whats good or bad. The photograph is not judged on its merits but
on some less than factual opinion of its worth based on technique or
production.

I think Slobodan wrote something about this recently on the LUG, to the
effect of
"this is a technically wonderful print, officially archival and never you
 mind about content"

This is what I despise.

The established art industry wants to maintain their turf by poo-pooing
anything new that comes along. "We don't do this so its bad" "Not
invented here"

And, of course there's the thinking its a shortcut if you scan the film
and print it using a computer - simple push button art - any fool can do
it!

Openness to digital prints is growing, but slowly. I'm seeing some in
traditional galleries along side wet prints. They can both be "art" -
good art.

Henry

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Giclee and gelatine (was SNAPS etc.))