Subject: Re: [Leica] Giclee and gelatine (was SNAPS etc.)
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:44:21 -0500

on 3/28/01 1:16 PM, henry at henry@henryambrose.com wrote:

> Partly its that somehow I believe that detailed technical explanation is
> beyond the interest/ability of most viewers/buyers to understand. By that
> I mean that they won't really "get it" but will simply categorize the
> method as "good" or "bad" based on what they last read in some collecting
> magazine or on "common knowledge" of whats good or bad or what their
> friend "who knows about this" told them.
>
> An example would be the country of origin of wines - if a wine is from
> Country A its good if its from Country B its bad (or somehow not as
> good). A decision is reached without tasting!

Maybe you're right. I mean maybe the information belongs in the Appendix,
not on the title plaque next to the print. But I'm all for information.

re the wine thing, I thought I wasn't snobbish about country of origin. I
mean you get astounding wines from all over the world these days, often
blowing the established winemaking countries out of the water as the young
turks from Australia, S Africa and California get their hands on vineyards
in Chile, Hungary, even England. But I drew the line at Canadian wine!

Then I had the most astounding bottle of something or other... I was
gobsmacked at how delicious it was... and looked at the label... made in
Ontario. My jaw hit the floor.

Of course, because of the ludicrously Stalinist way that alcohol is
distributed in this province (you can buy it anywhere you like, as long as
it's run by the government) you can't actually buy the wine in question in
stores. But that's another story...
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com