Subject: [Leica] re: thus sayeth the leicabable
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:25:59 -0500 (EST)

>How many people on this list who have criticized her know what it's like
>to be a 22 year old with bullets whizzing over your head and nothing but
>a camera in your hands?

i don't have any criticisms of her "youthful indescretions" what annoyed
me was towards the end of the book when she and her husband decide they
want kids -- so they have kids and then she decides she wants to stay at
home with the kids and to continue living in very expensive manhattan --
so the solution is to pressure her boss to a) give her a raise and b) cut
back her hours so that she can make the same amount of money and only work
three days.

it's a real slap in the face of everybody else working in her (and
any other) office and doing their jobs. they make a conscious decision to
have children, very conscious in fact, they try for months and months, and
then when they _have_ children, they act as though the responsibility of
children has been thrust upon them by the working world which now expects
them to raise them through unreasonable circumstances.

that and it's not very well written. it's chock full o lines like:

"hell hath no fury like a woman made to feel like a hideous, big-nosed
midget."

"eventually it all comes back to either sex or the holocaust"

"'who is that?' they asked, in full throttle italics."

"'Deb,' he said, lifting me up and twirling me around, 'let's not play
that game ever again.' He littered my face with kisses."

"I broke down again, my tears staining the felt-tipped words."

"...two Jews who get married have a moral responsibility to populate the
world with more Jews."

If you're looking to read a book about photojournalism, read "The Bang
Bang Club" and if you're looking to read something about feminism, I can
recommend "The Last Time I Wore A Dress" by Daphne Schlonski or "The Body
Project" Joan Jacob Blumburg. But Shutterbabe fails to live up to its
expectations on nearly all aspects, I'm sad to say.

kc