Subject: Re: [Leica] Two more
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:12:53 +0200

> I understand Polish has more cases even than Russian. Perhaps our very own
> St. Stan can weigh in on this one.

The main difference is that Polish has i.e. differentiation by persons:

English:
========
Singularis:
I am counting
You are counting
He/she is counting

Pluralis:
We are counting
You are counting
They are counting

Pretty boring, eh? So let's try Polish:

Polish:
=======

Ja licze
Ty liczysz
On/Ona liczy

My liczymy
Wy liczycie
Oni/One liczą

Another different. (Nominativus, Accusativus, etc):

Crayon    Kredka    (It is a crayon - To jest kredka)
Crayon    Kredke    (I have a crayon - Mam kredke)
Crayon    Kredce    (I owe this to crayon - Zawdzieczam to kredce)
Crayon    Kredke    (I see crayon - Widze kredke)
Crayon    Kredka    (I am drawing with crayon - Rysuje kredka)
Crayon    O kredce  (I am speaking about crayon - Mowie o kredce)
Crayon    Kredko    (Oh, crayon! - O, kredko!)

But we have only past, present and future time and differenting
something what was done with something what have been done and
is still unfinished with modified words. Like this:

I was reading a book - Czytalem ksiazke
I read a book - Przeczytalem ksiazke

Polish is told to be one of hardest languages to learn, along with e.g.
Norwich. Especially for English language speakers. But please note that
even 6 yrs old children can speak Polish, so I don't see a problem.. :)

Just to note: I don't have a English teacher and had only a year or so
of English in school. All my linguiostical education came from reading
English literature, from Chaucer through Walter Scott up to Parkinson :)

- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Two more)