Subject: Re: [Leica] projecting vs. protecting slides
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:35:51 +0200

>From Wilhelm's "The Permanence and Care of Color Photographs", the estimated
cumulative projection times for various slide films before noticeable fading
sets in are:

Kodachrome                         1 hour
Fujichrome                            5 h 20 min
Fujichrome Velvia                 4h 45 min
Ektachrome (most types)       2h 40 min
Agfachrome (most types)       2 hours

Conversely, Kodachrome is by far the most stable film in storage.
In a nutshell, Wilhelm recommends Kodachrome if projection can be avoided and
Fujichrome for slides that are to be projected a lot. How this applies to you
depends on how often you project. I started using Kodachrome in 1985. I still
have my slides from that year. The most any of them have been projected is 10
times; we usually keep a slide on the screen for no more than 30 seconds, which
yields a cumulative time of 5 minutes. If you have similar habits, I would not
bother making dupes. If you give a slide show every evening, then obviously it
is a different story.

(Note: looking at slides on a good light table does not have the same effect)

Nathan

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Someone in photo class last night said that slides will degrade over time if
> you project them (due to heat); he only projects dupes.
>
> Is there any validity to this claim?  I only have originals and project them
> occasionally (once a month or so), but my oldest slides are still less than
> a year old.  Should I incur the costs of duping these slides to protect
> them?
>
> What do you do?
>
> Dan

- --