Subject: [Leica] WAS: Not Leica quality NOW: 15 Super-Elmar 3.5
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:18:55 -0700

Pascal wrote:

>>> since you used (or use?) both lenses, how does the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5
> behave  ?<<<<<<<

Hi Pascal,
It's probably made me more money than almost any other lens due to the
recording quality and the incredible perspective of a 15mm lens. And on an R
camera you see exactly what your getting and that allows for wonderful
composition with maximum effect.

Is the Cosina / Voigtlander equal?  No of course not, but it's surprisingly
close, that in some frames of comparison it's hard to tell the difference.
The Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 is a magical lens that gives you excellent recorded
quality on slide film that unless you have one you will not likely ever
enjoy what it can do.

I've used mine in the operating rooms with B&W, travel assignments on
Kodachrome and 100SW as well as for some sports shoots. And most certainly
for interiors where it is above reproach for sharpness and colour rendition.
I've used it since early 80's and wouldn't be without it.

The main difference between the two lenses is in the handling. The
Voigtlander on the M is a fun free wheeling user friendly lens where you can
almost shoot with reckless abandon with no thought for focus.

Whereas the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 because it's on the R8 and looking through
the SLR viewfinder tends to slow one down because the automatic re-action is
to "focus" rather than put camera to eye and shoot as with the M. Hardly
worth mentioning but nevertheless it's significant in how and when one uses
both type of lenses.

It's truly quality super plus!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited