Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm Heliar--Vignetting & Underexposure
From: Evan J Dong <ejdong@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:29:20 -0400

Howard and all,

How is the optical quality of the Nikon 15mm versus the Heliar 15mm?  I
know that one is for a  SLR and the other for a rangefinder. Just want to
know if you had any problems with the Nikon 15mm and which version it
was. Either the 5.6 or the 3.5 AI or AIS.

I am asking because, I just recently purchased a used Nikon 15mmF3.5 AIS
for $1025. I couldn't afford to buy the Elmar 15mm, so went the next
possible route for a SLR lens usage.  Any tips on how to use and shot
correctly with any 15mm?

Thanks in advance,

Evan Dong

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:33:02 -0400 Howard Wells <sandwell@earthlink.net>
writes:

> I agree with Ted Grant about using incident metering with this lens.
> I've shot with a Nikkor 15mm lens as well and unless you are careful
> with your center-weighted TTL metering you are likely to get
> underexposure.
>
> As for the quality of the Heliar I find it very satisfactory. I shot
> 50' wide mosaic under less than perfect conditions--could not get
> more
> than 10' away from the piece and harsh sunlight--and the results
> were
> lovely with Provia 100 F. I've only used one sample of the lens but
> it
> is a great bargain.
> Howard Wells

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!