Subject: [Leica] RE: 15mm Heliar--Vignetting & Underexposure
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@inicia.es>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:40:02 +0200

Howard and all,

How is the optical quality of the Nikon 15mm versus the Heliar 15mm?  I
know that one is for a  SLR and the other for a rangefinder. Just want to
know if you had any problems with the Nikon 15mm and which version it
was. Either the 5.6 or the 3.5 AI or AIS.

I am asking because, I just recently purchased a used Nikon 15mmF3.5 AIS
for $1025. I couldn't afford to buy the Elmar 15mm, so went the next
possible route for a SLR lens usage.  Any tips on how to use and shot
correctly with any 15mm?

Thanks in advance,

Evan Dong

Hi Evan,

Nikkor 15mm F:3,5 AIS is a good lens  with very smoll distortion and
satisfactory sharpness. You will for sure like the output. Only problems are
vignetting, gone if you close a little, and, mainly, ghosting not so much
from sun coming in front of you, but surprisingly if the sun, or a strong
light point, is on a side. Great difference with superwides on rangefinder
as Heliar, you actually see the real image in your finder and if you use a
Nikon F you will see whole image. Price is OK.

Kind regards

Félix