Subject: [Leica] UK VAT question.
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 06:25:17 -0500

I sent two framed photographs (taken with a Leica, OT element) to my
Father who lives in the UK for his 70th Birthday and I just heard back
from him. Apparently, the British authorities (Inland Revenue?) charged
him 17.5% on the insured value of the package even though it was clearly
marked on the customs form as a gift. I feel pretty bad about this
because I overinsured it, not knowing that this would happen.

Since this is such an international forum, I was wondering if any LUG
experts know if this is right, or if there is any way for him to get his
money back?

Thanks!

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] UK VAT question.)